Tax Information for Seniors

Senior Circuit Breaker Tax Credit

As a senior citizen, you may be eligible to claim a refundable credit on your personal state income tax return. The Circuit Breaker tax credit is based on the actual real estate taxes paid on the Massachusetts residential property you own or rent and occupy as your principal residence.

The maximum credit amount for tax year 2020 is $1,150. If the credit you're owed exceeds the amount of the total tax payable for the year, you'll be refunded the additional amount of the credit without interest.

For more information on this credit, visit

Fore more Massachusetts Tax Information for Seniors and Retirees, visit

Age 65 or Over Exemption

You're allowed a $700 exemption if you're age 65 or older before the end of the year. If filing a joint return, each spouse may be entitled to 1 exemption if each is age 65 or over on December 31 (not January 1 as per federal rule) of the tax year.

What is Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)?

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.

VITA sites help thousands of people living with low incomes each year access tax credits that can add up to over $8,000.

VITA volunteers are trained to access the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and other tax credits to allow taxpayers to pay bills, cover essential needs (rent, utilities, food, etc.), save and plan for the future. Community Action Agency VITA sites also are able to link taxpayers to other critical services that strengthen families.

Who is eligible for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)?
In order to qualify for this program, you must:
--Earn moderate income or less; or
--Be disabled; or
--Not speak English well; or
--Be a senior citizen