Reduce Your Energy Consumption
Suggestions to help lower your energy bill
Savings will vary significantly from home to home. Data based on 500 kWh monthly residential usage at 15 cents per kWh per month.
(courtesy of National Grid)
- Replace a minimum of five incandescent lights with ENERGY STAR® light bulbs for a typical savings of $9 a month.
- Turn off lights, appliances, TVs, stereos, and computers when not in use, and save approximately $9 a month.
- If you have a large television (greater than 32”), turn it off when not watching, and save $8 a month.
- Unplug your electric space heater or hot tub and save $41 a month.
- Recycle your second, older refrigerator and you can save $23 a month.
- Washing your clothes in cold water can save you $9 per month.
- Repair leaky faucets and save $6 per month.
- Unplug electronics with remote control or “instant on” features and save $4 a month. An advanced power strip will do the work for you.
- If you have an electric clothes dryer, clean the filter and straighten the exhaust hose/duct to save $3 a month.
- When buying new appliances, always choose ENERGY STAR® and save $11-$24 a month for the life of the appliance.
- If you have a natural gas furnace, tune it up to save $9 a month, or replace your older furnace with one that is 90 percent or more efficient, for a savings of $30 a month.
- Install a programmable thermostat that lowers the setting at night and when no one is home, and save $15 a month.
- Caulk and weather-strip around windows and doors to keep warm air indoors and save $13 a month.
- Dry only full loads of laundry and save $7 a month.
- Lower your water heater setting to 120° F and save $9 a month.
- Use a low-flow showerhead to save 8,212 gallons of water and up to $246 a year.
- Did you know your dishwasher has an energy-saver switch? Turn it on to use less water and lower your water heating bills.
- Choose an energy-efficient hot water tank and save $6 a month.
- Insulate walls, ceilings, and windows and save $16 a month.
- Choose energy-efficient windows and save $28 a month.